See here the list of Top 10 best electric wheelchairs. Read the buying guide and other important factors before making a selection for you or any of your dear ones
- ★THE SAFER CHOICE- Our electric wheelchair is FDA approved and implements a variety of safety features. These include a 360-degree joystick, solidly stable front and rear wheels, a foldable foot...
- ★SIMPLE TO OPERATE - Using an innovative joystick design and an updated electric magnetic breaking system, our wheelchair gives you superior motion control and quick stopping. It's adjustable...
- ★LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO FOLD - Being built with an aviation aluminum frame and weighing only 50lbs, our power wheelchair is durable and incredibly lightweight. It's also easy to fold in 3 seconds,...
- ✔ Now with an Unbeatable Price. Get Yours Today and Enjoy the Free Mobility Now!
- ✔ Equipped with 2 Battery Which Can Go 12 Miles with Full Charge
- ✔ This Wheelchair Will Never Fail You on Grass, Ramp, Brick, Muddy, Snow, Bumpy Roads
- Forcemech is a US Company that is committed to offer the best Mobility Products.
- All Products Backed By Forcemech's Gold Standard 24x7 Customer Support!
- R2 weights only 43lbs - Lightest in the Industry, Foldable in Seconds.
- EASY TO STORE - Lightweight storage folding chair without disassembling. The electric wheelchair folds up in 5 seconds and is very compact to fit in most small trunks. Has a handle under the seat for...
- DURABLE AND STYLISH - Smart silver aluminum aircraft alloy frame, includes matching footrests. This model power wheelchair is very lightweight and durable, and requires no maintenance.
- COMFORT ON RUGGED TERRAIN - Ergonomically designed for comfort. Operate this motorized wheelchair in grass, gravel, or snow, with a long lasting battery life and shock absorber for ride comfort. Has a...
- ✅ULTRALIGHT WEIGHT: Ephesus L5 is the exclusive design for the customers who are looking for lightweight wheelchair. L5 is the lightest model of Ephesus. Only 40 lbs with the battery. The...
- ✅ PREMIUM QUALITY MOTORS: Stops smooth and super safely. 24V 500W Motor, Max 4 mph, Range: 13 Miles, Charging Time: 6-8 hours. Front Wheels: 8 inches, Back Wheels: 13 inches. Seat: 20x19x16. Please...
- ✅ LONG RANGE PER CHARGE: It takes around 6-8 for a full charge, and the wheelchair can go up to 13 miles. This amazing range per charge performance has a better performance ratio than even some...
- Super Heavy Duty 20" Seat Width Portable Power Wheelchair, Foldable in seconds, Air travelling approved. No Need to Install a Lift on your Car or SUV to transport. Fits in car trunks equal or bigger...
- Small Turning Radius of Only 33 inches -- Gets around tight areas easily.Costs Less than Older model & much heavier Power Electric Wheelchairs.
- Porto Mobility is a US Company that is committed to offer the best Mobility Products. All Products, parts and accessories Backed By Porto Mobility Standard 24x7 Customer Support!
- ✔HIGH TECH! Never Seen Before Hidden Brush-less Motor Technology inside the back tires.
- ✔LIGHT WEIGHT! Portable Electric Wheelchair use the aircraft grade aluminum alloy frame more lighter and durable, it weighs only 40 lbs, it is the lightest model in this power chair category. Yet...
- ✔LONG RANGE! Battery Gets Up to 12 Miles in Driving Distance. The Lithium battery can be charged and used together or separately / Airline Friendly -- Battery is Allowed for Transport on an Airplane...
- ULTRA LIGHT WEIGHT - WISGING D09 Electric Wheelchair is just 58 lbs with battery! The versatile wheelchair is assembled with Aluminum Alloy Foldable chair, 6AH Lithium battery*2, antiseptic,...
- FOLDING COMPACT DESIGN - WISGING D09 Electric Wheelchair easy to fold design reduces The Travel Buggy in seconds to a compact unit about the size of a suitcase for storage or travel. Includes a black...
- AVIATION TRAVEL - WISGING D09 Electric Wheelchair has FDA Approval, Convenient, Easy for the Aviation Travel. Apply to all different road types such as grass, ramp, deceleration strip, brick, muddy,...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, QUICK AND PORTABLE- Indoor/outdoor mobility device that is durable, lightweight, powerful, compact, easy to transport and airline compatible. Our motorized chair weighs only 47 lbs...
- POWERFUL AND INNOVATIVE DESIGN - 3 speed setting allows you to adjust speed between low, medium and high. Great for all types of terrains from smooth surfaces, carpet, grass, and more. Features two...
- EASY TO MANEUVER - Narrow turning radius and slim profile lets you pull right up to tables or desks with ease. Simple to maneuver and operate with easy touch controls located on the steering arm....
- ✅ DURABLE AND STYLISH: New Technology Aircraft Alloy Grade Carbon Steel Construction Makes This Wheelchair More Durable and Lightweight Also Does Not Need Any Maintenance.
- ✅ FDA APPROVED: Folding Mobility Electric Wheelchair is FDA Approved So You will Have All Necessary and Most Safety Features Automatically. This Wheelchair is Airplane Travel Approved and Cruise...
- ✅ EASY TO HANDLE: No Need to Disassemble. This Electric Wheelchair Easily Folds up in 5 Seconds and Fits in Most Trunks. Very Convenient for Storage and Travel. In Addition Seat and Back Rest...
Frequently asked questions
Electric wheelchair – safe and independent in everyday life
In old age or with a specific illness, the strength is often no longer sufficient to move independently – yet you want to live as independently as possible. Electric wheelchairs enable you to do just that: maximum flexibility and mobility as well as an increased level of independence and quality of life. Electric wheelchairs are available for indoor and outdoor use. The Nursing Aid Association will inform you about the different models and what costs you have to expect.
The electric wheelchair – features and variants
Unlike manual wheelchairs, you can use power wheelchairs without effort. They are controlled by a joystick, which is intuitive to use and already sensitive to the slightest touch. With a lifting system you can also easily adjust the height of the seat.
The standard speed of an electric wheelchair is 6 km / h. At individual request and depending on the model, a top speed of up to 14 km / h can be achieved. With this speed, however, the wheelchairs are no longer aids of the health insurance within the meaning of SGB V, but must be self-financed.
The electrics of the electric wheelchair
Backrest: If necessary, a tilt of up to 50 degrees can be set to relieve the back and to take different sitting positions.
Electric footrests: These supports allow relief of the legs.
Electrically adjustable seat height: This allows you to be at eye level with most people – and at the same time relieve and relax your body through different seating positions.
Electric standing function: This can help the user to breathe easier and relieves the organs.
And most importantly: An electric wheelchair is taken over as a medical aid in case of proven need by the health insurance. This applies to the standard variant. If you wish an extra equipment or a special product, you may pay more than the statutory additional payment of a maximum of 10 euros. Alternatively, there may be subsidies from the Federal Employment Agency, the pension insurance or accident insurance.
The facts: range, required turning radius and climbing ability
Below are sample operating data for an electric wheelchair with 400 watt motorization at an average speed of 10 km / h. Note that these are average values.
Maximum range with 33 Ah batteries: about 28 km; with 50 Ah batteries: about 40 km; with 63 Ah batteries: about 48 km
Gradeability: up to 17%
Top speed forward: about 12 km / h
Required turnaround for a 180 ° turn: from 110 cm
Surmountable curb height: 8 cm
The cost of your mobile companion
The prices for a power wheelchair start from about € 1,900. Depending on the model and design, they can also be € 5,000 and more. Electric wheelchairs are listed in the list of aids of the statutory health insurance: If this aid is necessary for you, the health insurance companies take over the costs. In this case, you only pay a prescription fee of € 10.
If you receive the electric wheelchair due to a prescription, it will be loaned to you by the health insurance company. This variant has the advantage that the health insurance company remains the owner of the wheelchair and thus covers all costs incurred, such as spare parts and repairs, as well as providing a replacement at short notice if necessary.
1. Electric wheelchairs for greater mobility and independence in everyday life
An electric wheelchair makes everyday life easier for wheelchair users who, due to physical limitations, can not drive a manual wheelchair . Even people who do not have an accompanying person at their side benefit from an electric wheelchair.
An electrically powered hospital lift is powered by a battery that drives the motor. This in turn sets the drive wheels in motion. In addition, an electric wheelchair has support wheels that prevent it from tipping over, as well as steering wheels with which the direction can be controlled. Even on rough ground and on slopes, you can move safely with an electric wheelchair. Doctor visits, trips to the fresh air and smaller errands can be done well.
An electric wheelchair drives a maximum of 6 km / h . Handicapped vehicles that can move faster are, for example, electric vehicles and electric scooters, which are also called e-scooters. These are also suitable for older people who can not walk any further distances on foot, but want to maintain a degree of independence in old age.
Different types of power on electric wheelchairs
There are different types of electric mobility aids: electric wheelchairs and electric vehicles. Especially the latter are also popular with seniors who want to preserve their mobility.
2. Kaufberatung: How to find the best electric wheelchair
Of course, an electric wheelchair must fit you perfectly. If you have the support of your health insurance and a medical supply, the electric wheelchair is optimally adapted to your needs. But even if you have no prescription or want to buy or rent a cheap power wheelchair for short-term use, you should consider some criteria so that the tool can give you a real help in everyday life.
2.1. Speed and range
An electric wheelchair moves at walking pace, unlike some electric vehicles and e-scooters . The wheelchairs do not reach more than 6 km / h. Thus, an electric wheelchair can increase the speed with which you can move in everyday life. Especially in comparison with a lightweight wheelchair, which is driven manually.
The range that you can cover with an electric wheelchair depends on the battery used or the built-in battery. Most electric wheelchairs in tests achieve a range of about 40 km . This corresponds to a net time of around six and a half hours. For use on small trips and errands in the vicinity of the apartment this is certainly sufficient.
2.2. Traffic safety
Even if the speed of an electric wheelchair is not too high, the vehicle should be sufficiently safe . The weight of most electric wheelchairs in tests varies between 60 kg and 140 kg. Basically, the higher the dead weight, the higher the tipping safety. Make sure that you do not purchase an electric wheelchair that is significantly lighter than 60 kg.
The number of wheels also influences the stability. As a rule, electric wheelchairs have 4 wheels: two drive wheels and two support wheels . The latter also balance the vehicle when coping with curbs. In addition, an electric wheelchair must have brakes, lights, reflectors and a horn. This ensures safety especially outdoors and on busy sidewalks.
2.3. Comfort and handling
Of course you must be able to sit comfortably in your electric wheelchair and operate the device easily. The seats of power wheelchairs are often covered with easy-care artificial leather. Some models allow the adjustment of the seat width, which contributes significantly to the seating comfort .
Armrests also allow comfortable and safe sitting. Often they are for easier getting up, for example when transferring to bed, foldable or removable. One of the armrests has the fitting that controls the power wheelchair. In addition to some controllers usually serves a lever of the wheelchair control. This can be moved forwards and backwards as well as to the sides in order to move the wheelchair in the same way.
2.4. Overview: Features
When buying your electric wheelchair, pay attention to the following features.
- height-adjustable armrests for greater comfort
- Lighting for outdoor use
- Suspension for more comfort
- foldable backrest for easy transport in the car
- adjustable seat for individual comfort
- folding footrests for the relief of the legs
3. Brands and manufacturers of power wheelchairs
There are some electric wheelchairs available on the market. If you find out about the offer, regardless of whether you want to rent a power wheelchair or pay the health insurance electric wheelchair or scooter, some manufacturers will meet you again and again.
Meyra electric wheelchairs are as well known as electric wheelchairs from Invacare or Mistral. Foldable electric wheelchairs are particularly flexible, as they can be stowed in the luggage compartment of coaches or in the trunk of the car . The easily foldable electric wheelchairs enable seniors and people with disabilities to live an active life and even travel.
- Electric Mobility Euro
- Moving Star
- Sunrise Medical
4.1. Who pays the electric wheelchair?
With a purchase price of 1,000 – 4,000 euros, a wheelchair with electric drive is not exactly cheap. However, you do not have to worry about financing. If you are dependent on a wheelchair and the purchase of an electric wheelchair is advisable, the health insurance will cover the costs.
You only have to make an additional payment, which is usually only a few euros. For this, you must receive from the doctor a corresponding recipe on which an electric wheelchair is explicitly noted . If you only have a prescription for a manual wheelchair, the health insurance does not pay for an electric wheelchair.
4.2. Where can I buy an electric wheelchair?
For example, you can buy a wheelchair with electric drive on site in the medical supply store. However, if you want to buy the cheapest electric wheelchair, it is advisable to study the offers on the Internet. Here you will often find cheaper models or used electric wheelchairs.
If the electric wheelchair is only needed temporarily, for example as part of a rehab after a hospital stay, a rental service is also an option . Ask about a rehab service near you. You can also give information at your health insurance.
If you get the electric wheelchair on prescription, so it is funded by the health or nursing care, you should inquire there how the process is going. As a rule, the health insurance companies have contracts with providers of power wheelchairs, who will then supply you with the aid and adapt it .
4.3. What advantages does an electric wheelchair offer over a manual wheelchair?
An electric wheelchair is equipped with a motor, the movement does not take place – as with manual wheelchairs – on the power of the arms. This way, you can usually travel longer distances and this is much more comfortable than with a wheelchair that you need to drive yourself.
The advantages and disadvantages of the electric wheelchair compared to a manual wheelchair:
- Self-reliance even with severe physical restriction
- more mobility: even longer distances are possible
- less effort
- higher acquisition costs
- running costs due to electricity needs
4.4. Electric wheelchair test: What does Stiftung Warentest say?
The experts of the Stiftung Warentest have not yet awarded an electric wheelchair test winner. But on their website they have provided some information for wheelchair users traveling with an electric wheelchair. Depending on the model and its maximum speed, certain rules must be adhered to .